April Vacation Animal Sitting!
The Science Center is looking for homes for some of its animals over Winter vacation. **gerbils– snapping turtle–guinea pig (elder)–hamster**
The Science Center will provide cage, food, shavings, and care sheet for each animal. Call Wendy Pavlicek (781)-270-2928 or email email@example.com ASAP if interested.
Animals are distributed on a first come, first serve basis. All animals must be picked up by making an appointment with Ms. Pavlicek.
USA Hockey team player, Kali Flanagan, came to Fox Hill for a visit with our students! She won the gold medal in the 2018 Winter Olympics and brought her gold medal to share with the students! Unfortunately, our class picture with her did not come out, so we only have two pictures with Kali. It was still an exciting day!
The month of February was filled with many exciting days in First Grade. We are most grateful that everyone is back to school and healthy again! Here is what we have been up to:
- In Math we started a new unit on graphing and data.
- In Writing we completed our Personal Narratives. Be sure to check out our videos on SeeSaw.
- In Literacy we have learned about plural nouns and contractions.
- In Fundations we learned about long vowels.
- In PE we learned many new sports from the Olympics. We learned about the luge, bobsled, speed skating, and biathlon.
- We learned several new songs in Music.
- We continued to work with clay in Art.
- We had our closing ceremonies for the Olympics with the whole school.
- We celebrated our 100th Day of school! On this day we were engineers and built different structures with 100 different items.
- Mr. Musselman visited Fox Hill with the Star Lab. We learned about the sky, stars, moon, and constellations.
- We celebrated Valentine’s Day with our friends.
- We learned about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln and a fun Friday about them.
- On March 2nd we participated in Read Across America Day by having several guest readers, including Mrs. Johnson, some fifth grade students, and a Mystery Reader.
- We had 3 Mystery Readers!
Miss Canha, our classroom student teacher, taught us many of these new skills. Thank you Miss Canha!
This week in Room 27…….
- In PE, we learned about curling. -EJ
- In Art, we worked on our trees and tree branches with oil pastels. -Ryan and Rhys
- In Art, we made pinch pots. -Abby
- In Music, we played Grizzly Bear. -Hailey
- We read It’s Not a Box and showed our creativity with our own drawings. -Nathan
- In Math we got our 50% JiJi poster. – Cameron
- We learned about Groundhog’s Day. – Sophie
- We learned more about Belarus, our Olympic country. – Sisira
- We got picked for a class Gotcha.- Georgia
- We added work to SeeSaw. -Anna
Mrs. Rashidifard was our first Mystery Reader! Thank you for reading us Choo Choo by Virginia Lee Burton.
Our It’s Not a Box drawings
Hailey and Abu presented at our assembly today!
We are beginning Mystery Readers in Room 27. If you are interested in being a Mystery Reader, please check your child’s blue communication folder. I sent home a sign-up sheet. If you need another, please contact me!
It has been quite awhile since I have last updated our blog, but don’t worry we have kept the students busy! I hope everyone had a restful holiday and have been safe in the snowstorms. We hope the snow melts again soon so we can have outside recess again!
Here are some highlights from the last two weeks:
- In PE we learned Four Square Hockey and the obstacle course.
- In Art, we are drawing Pine trees and have learned about different textures.
- In Music, we learned the song Grizzly Bear, Bubble Gum and Freeze Dance.
- In Math we have learned subtractions facts up to 20.
- We have become expert mathematicians in fact families.
- We earned our 40% JiJi postcard.
- In Literacy we have began learning about Reciprocal Teaching- questioning, predicting, clarifying, and summarizing. We are learning that these strategies make us better readers.
- In Writing, we are learning about personal narratives.
- We wrote a class book titled, Room 27’s Dance Party and are currently writing our own personal narratives.
- We wrote New Years Resolutions for ourselves.
- We learned about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and read Martin’s Big Words.
- We earned a class prize and watched The Magic School Bus, Adventures in Space.
We also have a new teacher in our room for the next few months. Jade Canha is here as a student teacher from Merrimack College. Ms. Canha will be here everyday until April.