We have had a few extra visitors in our room the past two weeks! The chicks were delivered and hatched last week. We even saw one being hatched during dismissal! Each day we have made observations of the chicks and are learning how they get stronger each day. Today we took them out of the Brooder Box and let them walk around with our groups. Some of the students named their chick.
On Monday we learned about Maple Sugaring with Ms. P. We learned all the different tools needed to tap a tree and collect sap. We can’t wait to see what we have collected in a few days!
This week in Room 27 we:
- Celebrated our 100th Day of School
- Celebrated the birthday of Dr. Seuss
- Learned the meaning of “March comes in a like a lion and out like a lamb”. We wrote about times we are lions and lambs and did an art project.
- Learned a new vocabulary center in Literacy.
- Wrote our February Monthly memory.
- Stared a new topic in Math about place value.
- Started our Animal Parts and Functions unit in Science. We traced our bodies on big pieces of paper and labeled our body parts.
- Looked at animal models and used comparison statements to compare their parts.
- Watched a video about chicks and the master incubator. Our chicks went into the incubator on March 8th.
- Finished our unit in Fundations on long vowels.
Here are a few quotes from the students about their work the past two weeks:
“We drew a picture of cat in the hat”- Ivy
“We did our lion and lamb writing and project.” Meghan
“We watched We Sing in Sillyville.” Samira
“We made pictures of space in art.” Vanessa
“We painted our pinch pots.” Zoe
“We learned about animal parts and functions in Science.” Cameron
“In Science we are opening our eggs to learn about the chicks.” Jonathan
“ In Reading we wrote about people who are worth more to us than gold.” Emma
“We labeled animal parts in Science.” Angaj
Despite the snow days we have stayed busy in Room 27! Today starts our February vacation! I hope everyone has a safe and relaxing week.
- In PE we played Sinking Ship
- In Art we cut out butterflies and snowflakes
- In Math we started a new topic on Place Value.
- We also practiced some Math choice with the attribute shapes and pattern blocks.
- In Math we took an assessment on Symphony Math.
- In Literacy we worked on past, present and future tense verbs.
- We played a new ‘I Have, Who Has’ game.
- We started to write letters for our Fox Hill Post Office.
- We celebrated the 100th Day by counting by ones, fives, and tens to one hundred.
- We celebrated Valentine’s Day by passing out our cards and our Party in a Bag.
- We listened to Snow Dance with Mrs. Doyle’s students the day before a snow day! It looks like it worked very well!!
- We visited the Star Lab with Mr. Musselman and learned about stars, the sun, and constellations.
- We listened to a few books and videos about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. We made a Fun Friday President’s Day cutout.
Snow Day Dancing!
Partner Work in Writing
Star Lab and Pajama Day
The past two weeks have been busy in Room 27! Here is what we have been up to….
- In PE we’ve been using mats to practice different tumbling techniques.
- In Art we are learning about primary and secondary colors. We have also learned about symmetrical design.
- In Music we are learning about music notes, crescendo and decrescendo.
- In Literacy we learned 4 new glued sounds- ink, ank, unk, onk.
- We also learned about 2 new apps for Literacy- Raz Kids and Vocabulary City. The students are very excited about using them!
- We were focused and determined during an i-Ready assessment on the chrome books.
- We started to learn about character traits and analyzed a few characters in Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon and Click, Clack, Moo Cows That Type.
- In Math we started Unit 6- Represent and Interpret Data. We took a few surveys in our class.
- We reached 40% completion of ST Math and received another postcard from JiJi.
- In Writing we added where and when triangles to our sentences to add more details. We started writing paragraphs about specific photographs!
- We continued our unit on heroes and read stories about Martin Luther King, Jr., police officers, Amelia Earhart, and relief workers.
- We had our Heroes Assembly with the Kindergarten and Second Grade where we showed our heroes video. You can watch the video here.
- We learned about Martin Luther King, Jr and made necklaces that represented our individuality. We also read The Peace Book.