I hope everyone had a restful long weekend. The students were busy discussing and writing about things they are thankful for. I hope everyone was able to connect to SeeSaw and can see their student’s work. If you are having trouble, please send me an email.
Here are some highlights from the past few weeks:
- In Music we learned new songs for the Peppermint Parade.
- In P.E. we are refining our hula-hooping skills.
- In Art we have worked on painting.
- In Reading we are learning about character traits.
- We started a new Fundations unit on singular and plural words.
- In Math we learned strategies to help us add to 10.
- We used subtraction to help us solve addition and addition to help us solve subtraction.
- We earned our 30% postcard from JiJi in ST Math.
- We sketched the leaves and sees from the Maple, Oak, and Pine trees
- We went on a tree walk and took pictures of Maple, Oak, and Pine trees.
- We are creating our first book in Book Creator from our tree walk.
- We planted seeds and investigated the function of roots.
We can’t believe it is already November here in First Grade. Check out what we have been up to:
- Investigated stems with a celery experiment
- Dissected the celery to explain the function of a stem
- Finished our Fundations unit on the bonus letters ff, ss, ll, and the glued sound all
- Started working on a new app for iReady
- Began a new Math unit on doubles facts, doubles plus one, and facts with a ten frame
- Created a pumpkin craft and ‘Party In A Bag’
- Had a Community Circle with Mrs. Johnson
- Learned about Veterans for Veteran’s Day
- Wrote letters of thanks to veterans
- Added our WOW work to SeeSaw
We hope everyone is enjoying this warmer weather. We certainly are in Room 27 with outside recess!
A few reminders for this week:
- Our field trip is Wednesday, November 8th. Students should wear their blue Fox Hill t-shirt and bring a nut-free lunch to school.
- Scholastic Book orders are due Wednesday, November 8th.
- No School Thursday, November 9 and Friday, November 10.
- There is a notice going home today about Parent-Conference sign ups.
For the past two weeks the students of room 27 are really showing they are ready for First Grade. We have been busy with our new Science unit, learning Reading centers, and showing our math skills during Math class. Here is what else we have been up to:
- Sun and cycle investigations with Mr. Musselman.
- Tracing our shadows to find patterns in the sky
- We started our Monthly Memory writing
- In Writing we are learning about persuasive writing
- In Math we finished our unit on 2D and 3D shapes, halves and fourths
- We learned our new Math centers, including ST Math
- Our mathematicians are working independently during centers
- In Fundations we are learning about digraphs. Digraphs are two consonants together that make one sound: ch, ck, wh, th, sh
- In Reading class we wrote responses to poems and book reviews
- We are working on building our independent reading stamina in reading class.
- We watched a BrainPop, Jr. video and learned about Christopher Columbus. For our project we made Christopher Columbus sailing on a ship.
Here are a few reminders about upcoming dates in Room 27 and at Fox Hill:
Friday, September 22nd– Scholastic Book Money due, online or check made out to Scholastic Book Clubs
Friday, September 22nd– Field trip to Stoneham Theater forms and money due, $17 cash or check made out to Fox Hill First Grade
Tuesday, September 26th– 9:30am or 6pm- Parent Volunteer Meeting with Mrs. Johnson